Subject: Re: bug#9729: 24.0.50; can't editing buffers while in another buffer i'm openning files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:02:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> AFAIR, the prompt follows to another GUI frame because that frame gets
> the focus-in event.  If I'm right, then it should also work with
> emacsclient frames on terminals that support focus-in events.

Let's see...  I create a daemon and two "-nw" emacsclients, and then:

(setq focus-in-hook '((lambda () (message "focus %s" (selected-frame)))))

Clicking in the two clients does not display the message, so I guess
that these terminals do not support focus-in events?  (This is
Debian/bullseye under Gnome Shell, with "Terminal" as the terminal,
which should be a very common environment.)

> Failing that, how to tell Emacs to switch to another frame, and would
> the way to do that easier than just typing C-g and switching to the
> client frame "by hand"?

I don't know the former, but perhaps the main problem with doing it
manually today is that you first have to find the emacsclient that has
the minibuffer active to hit `C-g' in it.  Hitting `C-g' in any other
terminal does nothing.

Perhaps that is something that could be fixed?  That is, in an
emacsclient context, `C-g' should interrupt the minibuffer action, no
matter what frame it's happening in?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no