Subject: Re: bug#9724: 24.0.90; ido-mode does not kill completions buffers

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:52:49 +0200

> However, setting the variable to delete-frame still does not kill the
 > *Completions* buffer on aborting the completion attempt. Am I missing
 > anything?

I tried to explain that when I wrote

 >>>> So, maybe this behavior is intentional. Is there any way to have the
 >>>> completion buffers killed instead of buried?
 >>>
 >>> Sounds like bug #9639...?
 >>
 >> You are right. Thanks.
 >
 > The fix for bug#9639 doesn't change anything wrt whether the completion
 > buffer gets killed or buried.

So let me try to explain this once more:

(1) Whether the buffer shall be killed or buried is decided by the
     function setting up the completion buffer.

(2) Whether the window showing the completion buffer is deleted or not
     is decided by (i) whether the buffer shall be killed or buried and,
     if the window appears on a standalone frame and the buffer shall be
     buried, (ii) the value of `frame-auto-hide-function'.

Bug#9724 is about (1) only.  Bug#9639 is about (2) only and not relevant
here.  Merging these two bugs was an incorrect decision.

martin