Subject: bug#9723: 24.0.50; Emacs Clipboard crash

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:24:31 +0200

> From: Joseph Jones <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:06:51 -0800
> 
> Another data point with this build:
> 
> 1) In GUI mode (I think mostly when connected over RDP), eventually Emacs will lock up using 12.5% CPU and not even running it under GDB will  let me break into the process to see what is up.

If you run it not under GDB, then attaching GDB to it ("gdb -p PID",
where PID is the process ID of the running Emacs) should interrupt
whatever it is doing and let you examine the call-stack backtrace.
Are you saying that this is not working?

Anyway, can it be that you have C source files loaded in that Emacs,
and you have JIT stealth font-lock enabled?  There are some problems
in C mode in that area at the moment (I had similar lockups myself),
so perhaps this is what you are hitting.

> 24 is almost useless for me right now, at least when working remotely (which I have to do to connected to some of my machines). It would suck to have to abandon Emacs on Windows. I have NEVER had Emacs crash on any other platform in almost 20 years of usage (really lucky I guess) but the last 5 months have seen it almost unusable. :-(

I'm sorry for your trouble.  I can only say that no one else reported
anything similar for this version.  You can always go back to Emacs 23
if you find this unbearable.