Subject: bug#9723: 24.0.50; Emacs Clipboard crash

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 20:22:39 +0100

> I'm not sure yet that I know what is the safe value.

As far as resize_frame_windows is concerned the smallest value is 2.
Modulo any bugs it assigns this value directly if the frame has just one
window.  If the frame has at least two side-by-side windows, it checks
that the width of any of these windows is at least 2.  If this doesn't
fit, it deletes all windows but the selected one.  So 2 is the safe
value unless the display code needs more.

 > If newwidth is 2 (in frame 6), then how come w->total_cols becomes
 > zero by the time it gets to adjust_glyph_matrix?  Joseph reported
 > these values:
 >
 >   w->left_margin_cols = 24
 >   w->total_cols = 0

24 doesn't strike me as reasonable for the left margin.  So I'm not sure
what to think of these values.

 > How did that happen, in a window that is just 2 columns wide??  If
 > that's legit, then 2 is too small; or else we have yet another bug on
 > our hands.

The problem is that I cannot reproduce the crash easily.  It seems that
Windows assures that any frame has a minimum width of 5 or so columns,
hence `set-frame-width' is of no use.  Do you have any idea how to
simulate the crash by calling change_frame_size with Joseph's values?

martin