Subject: Re: bug#9713: stdint.h in emacs

From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:54:53 GMT

On my system, that fails with
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl

Seems that's what I should have been getting too.  The only
libintl-related thing I see in the system directories in
/usr/lib/preloadable_libintl.so, which I hope would not count as -lintl.

Experimentally, it seems the system ld was somehow finding an old
libintl I had compiled myself years ago, installed in an out-of-the-way
place (certainly not in the /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.2 or
/usr/lib directories mentioned by gcc -v).  How the *system* loader
(collect2) was finding it, I could not determine.  My local directory
wasn't in ld.so.conf or related.

Regardless, it seems like a good thing not to be checking for it these
days.

In any event, I just edited the configure script to omit the libintl
check, and the whole emacs build went fine.

So ... sorry for the noise, and this can be closed, if it isn't already.

Thanks,
karl