Subject: Re: stdint.h in emacs

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:07:26 -0700

On 10/11/11 16:52, Karl Berry wrote:

> I surmise gnulib thinks my system stdint.h is insufficient due to:
>   checking whether stdint.h conforms to C99... no

Yes.  But I think Glenn found the underlying problem: the addition of
-lintl was causing lots of later 'configure' tests to mess up, including
the test for stdint.h and the test for ptrdiff_t.

> Does Emacs require C99 now?  I didn't think so.

That's right.  Emacs uses a few C99 features if available, but does
not require them.

I installed the following patch into the trunk as bzr 106063.  You can try
it now if you use the trunk directly, or can try it with the next pretest
snapshot when that becomes available, or if you're adventurous you can
apply it to your pretest copy and run "autoreconf -I m4" to propagate
it into 'configure'.  Please let us know how it goes.  And thanks for
reporting the problem.

=== modified file 'ChangeLog'
--- ChangeLog	2011-10-07 21:15:00 +0000
+++ ChangeLog	2011-10-12 06:56:23 +0000
@@ -1,3 +1,12 @@
+2011-10-12  Paul Eggert  <[email-masked]>
+
+	* configure.in: Remove check for -lintl (Bug#9713).
+	The check breaks 'configure' in some CentOS 5.7 x86 configurations.
+	The check was helpful but not essential in Solaris 2.6 (1997),
+	and is no longer needed in Solaris 8 (2000).  Solaris 2.6 is
+	obsolete -- Sun dropped support for it in 2006 -- and without
+	access to that Silurian platform we can't maintain the code anyway.
+
 2011-10-07  Paul Eggert  <[email-masked]>
 
 	Merge from gnulib, fixing some 'configure' typos (Bug#9696).

=== modified file 'configure.in'
--- configure.in	2011-10-07 07:23:44 +0000
+++ configure.in	2011-10-12 06:56:23 +0000
@@ -3008,10 +3008,6 @@
 AC_SUBST(DESLIB)
 AC_SUBST(KRB4LIB)
 
-# Solaris requires -lintl if you want strerror (which calls dgettext)
-# to return localized messages.
-AC_CHECK_LIB(intl, dgettext)
-
 AC_MSG_CHECKING(whether localtime caches TZ)
 AC_CACHE_VAL(emacs_cv_localtime_cache,
 [if test x$ac_cv_func_tzset = xyes; then