Subject: bug#9698: closed (Re: bug#9698: 24.0.90; Inserting 0x2215 produces 0x29F5)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 18:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9698: 24.0.90; Inserting 0x2215 produces 0x29F5

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9698: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9698
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9698: 24.0.90; Inserting 0x2215 produces 0x29F5
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:53:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 9698 notabug
stop

> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:30:37 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Bug or feature?  If a feature, what is the intent here?

Answering my own question: a feature.  This is due to the fact that
0x2215 is a mirrored character, and its mirror image is 0x29F5; see
admin/unidata/BidiMirroring.txt.  Emacs behaves as intended here, and
mirrors the character when it is in right-to-left context.

Closing the bug.

Subject: 24.0.90; Inserting 0x2215 produces 0x29F5
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:30:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 Type: a C-x 8 RET 2215 RET b

 You will see the expected: a∕b

 Now type: א C-x 8 RET 2215 RET ב

 And you will see something entirely different: א∕ב

 There's a glyphless character displayed between the two letters whose
 code is 0x29F5 (or at least that's what Emacs shows in the empty
 rectangle on my system; YMMV if you have a different font set).
 Interestingly enough, "C-x =" claims that both characters are 0x2215
 and are displayed using the same font...

Bug or feature?  If a feature, what is the intent here?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-09-26 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <C-end> C-w <return> 
R u n SPC . / a u t o g e n . s h <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
, SPC a n d SPC B o b ' s SPC y o u r SPC u n c l e 
. <return> <C-home> C-c C-s <switch-frame> d d d d 
d d d d C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z M-: ( g e t - c h a 
r - c o d e - p r o p e r t y SPC # x 2 2 1 5 SPC ' 
b i d i - c l a s s ) <return> M-: <up> <C-right> <C-right> 
<C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> 2 f <return> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> 
<C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <left> <left> 
<right> C-x = <left> <left> <left> <right> <right> 
<right> C-SPC <right> <left> <left> C-SPC <right> <right> 
M-w <left> C-SPC <right> M-w C-x b f o o <return> <return> 
a C-y b <return> <return> <language-change> א C-y ב 
<right> <right> <left> <up> <up> <up> <down> <right> 
<up> <right> C-x = <left> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <left> <delete> C-x 8 <return> 2 2 1 5 <return> 
<left> <return> <up> <left> C-x = <up> <right> <down> 
<down> M-x ר ק פ ם ר א <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <language-change> 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sending...
Added to d:/usr/eli/rmail/SENT.MAIL
Sending email...done
Sending...done
ON
CS
Char: ∕ (8725, #o21025, #x2215, file ...) point=2180 of 3183 (68%) column=53
Mark set [5 times]
Char: ∕ (8725, #o21025, #x2215) point=3 of 9 (22%) column=1
Char: ∕ (8725, #o21025, #x2215) point=8 of 10 (70%) column=1
byte-code: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug iso-transl find-func multi-isearch help-mode view
utf-7 dabbrev rmailout network-stream starttls tls smtpmail
auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util password-cache mailalias sendmail
ld-script dired-x dired tcl parse-time nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode arc-mode
archive-mode generic conf-mode newcomment org-wl org-w3m org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob
ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gud comint ring
noutline outline easy-mmode make-mode sh-script executable cc-awk
add-log autorevert info flyspell ispell vc-cvs jka-compr vc-bzr
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt qp rmailsum rmailmm message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop server
filecache saveplace midnight generic-x paren battery time time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)