Subject: bug#968: 23.0.60; CVS Emacs.app crashes randomly

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:17:55 -0500

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:50:25 -0400 [email-masked] wrote: 

pm> Emacs.app randomly crashes on me when in normal use.  I can be
pm> editing code, using gnus, or simply composing an email.  It's
pm> happened when I try to save a file, when I switch to emacs from
pm> another app, or when I hit return a couple times.  So it just seems
pm> to happen randomly.  It doesn't hang, it just exits immediately
pm> (without prompting me to save any files)

pm> When I run it in gdb, instead of crashing instantly, it hangs.  I
pm> assume this is the point where the crash usually happens, but gdb is
pm> preventing it from quitting entirely.  Here's the message I see in
pm> gdb when it crashes:

pm> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
pm> Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000070
pm> ns_free_indexed_color (idx=0, f=0x0) at nsterm.m:1302
pm> 1302      struct ns_color_table *color_table = FRAME_NS_DISPLAY_INFO (f)->color_table;

I've seen similar behavior; it's rare (maybe once every 3-4 days) and I
didn't have time to debug it so far.  I can do the GDB run as well if
yours is insufficient to pinpoint the problem.

Ted