Subject: bug#9669: closed (Re: bug#9669: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:34:03 +0000

Your bug report

#9669: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9669: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9669
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9669: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?)
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 03:32:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> 2. I compile the files using Emacs 20, not Emacs 24.
>> Maybe #2 is the root of the problem?
>
> I'd say you found your problem, indeed.

Subject: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?)
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:55:54 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm seeing this in my own setup.  I don't have the time to track it down
further.  Maybe you can reproduce it for emacs -Q (maybe not).  Maybe
you can understand the problem from the description here (maybe not).
 
I do `C-h f read-char-by-name', and I see this:
 
 read-char-by-name is an alias for `icicle-read-char-by-name' in
 `tramp-compat.el'.
 
I expect to see that, except that the file where
`icicle-read-char-by-name' is defined is `icicles-fn.el', not
`tramp-compat.el'.  No idea where the latter comes from.  A user
clicking the `tramp-compat.el' link will go to that file and have no
clue about either `read-char-by-name' or `icicle-read-char-by-name'!
 
And if a user clicks `icicle-read-char-by-name' s?he sees only this -
still no mention of `icicles-fn.el':
 
 icicle-read-char-by-name is a compiled Lisp function.
 
The defaliasing is done dynamically, and that is perhaps what throws
things off.  In `icicles-mode.el', the defaliasing code is this:
 
(defun icicle-redefine-standard-functions ()
  (when (fboundp 'icicle-completing-read)
    (dolist (fn  icicle-functions-to-redefine)
      (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name fn))))
        (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))))))
 
I can understand that `C-h f' would not be able to figure out which file
the defaliasing was done in.  But what the help seems to say is that
`icicle-read-char-by-name' is defined in `tramp-compat.el', and it is
not (nor is `read-char-by-name').  There is nothing in `tramp-compat.el'
about `read-char'.
 
I would expect that the help could figure out where
`icicle-read-char-by-name' is defined, even if it cannot figure out
where `read-char-by-name' gets defaliased to it.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-09-19 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt'