Subject: bug#9669: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:41:14 -0700

Some more info about this, which I'm guessing now might be pertinent (#2).
Didn't think of it before.

1. I see the same problem for any function that is not defined at top level,
e.g., when the `defun' is inside a top-level (when (...):

 (when (fboundp 'map-keymap)
   (defun icicle-complete-keys...)...)

 C-h f icicle-complete-keys

 icicle-complete-keys is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

2. I compile the files using Emacs 20, not Emacs 24.

Maybe #2 is the root of the problem?

I see the same problem in Emacs 23.3.  But in Emacs 22.3 I do not see it (still
using *.elc compiled with Emacs 20).  This is what Emacs 22.3 says:

 icicle-display-completion-list is a compiled Lisp function in
 `icicles-fn.el'.

Dunno whether this can be fixed for Emacs 23+, if in fact the version the files
are compiled in is the problem.

I know that Emacs 23+-specific functionality is generally not available using
files compiled with an earlier version.  But functionality that is not Emacs
23+-specific still works fine.

HTH.