Subject: bug#9669: 24.0.50; `tramp-compat.el' in *Help* when it doesn't belong (?)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 15:15:00 -0700

> For the defalias, just place a (debug) in front of the 
> defalias and post the resulting backtrace.

Not sure what you mean.  This is the backtrace upon entry:

  (progn (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn)))))
  (if (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (progn (debug)
(defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))))
  (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn
(intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn)))))
  (while --cl-dolist-temp-- (setq fn (car --cl-dolist-temp--)) (when (fboundp
(intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat
"icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))) (setq --cl-dolist-temp-- (cdr
--cl-dolist-temp--)))
  (let ((--cl-dolist-temp-- icicle-functions-to-redefine) fn) (while
--cl-dolist-temp-- (setq fn (car --cl-dolist-temp--)) (when (fboundp (intern
(concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat
"icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))) (setq --cl-dolist-temp-- (cdr
--cl-dolist-temp--))))
  (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let ((--cl-dolist-temp--
icicle-functions-to-redefine) fn) (while --cl-dolist-temp-- (setq fn (car
--cl-dolist-temp--)) (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name fn))))
(debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))) (setq
--cl-dolist-temp-- (cdr --cl-dolist-temp--)))))
  (cl-block-wrapper (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let ((--cl-dolist-temp--
icicle-functions-to-redefine) fn) (while --cl-dolist-temp-- (setq fn (car
--cl-dolist-temp--)) (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" ...))) (debug)
(defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" ...)))) (setq --cl-dolist-temp-- (cdr
--cl-dolist-temp--))))))
  (block nil (let ((--cl-dolist-temp-- icicle-functions-to-redefine) fn) (while
--cl-dolist-temp-- (setq fn (car --cl-dolist-temp--)) (when (fboundp (intern
(concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat
"icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))) (setq --cl-dolist-temp-- (cdr
--cl-dolist-temp--)))))
  (dolist (fn icicle-functions-to-redefine) (when (fboundp (intern (concat
"old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-"
(symbol-name fn))))))
  (progn (dolist (fn icicle-functions-to-redefine) (when (fboundp (intern
(concat "old-" (symbol-name fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat
"icicle-" (symbol-name fn)))))))
  (if (fboundp (quote icicle-completing-read)) (progn (dolist (fn
icicle-functions-to-redefine) (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name
fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn))))))))
  (when (fboundp (quote icicle-completing-read)) (dolist (fn
icicle-functions-to-redefine) (when (fboundp (intern (concat "old-" (symbol-name
fn)))) (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn)))))))
  icicle-redefine-standard-functions()
  (cond (icicle-mode ... (icicle-redefine-standard-functions)...)
...

And this is the return value:

Debugger entered--returning value: icicle-comint-dynamic-complete
  defalias(comint-dynamic-complete icicle-comint-dynamic-complete)
  (progn (debug) (defalias fn (intern (concat "icicle-" (symbol-name fn)))))

Dunno how that would help you.  Let me know if you meant something different.

> For the other function, showing us how it's defined would be a good
> first step.

What other function?

This is a defalias of a standard Emacs function to an Icicles variant.  There
are several such defaliases.  Each such pair <std fn, Icicles fn> is different.
The definitions of the actual functions cannot, I think, be important, since
they are all completeley different.

But I'm probably misunderstanding you.