Subject: keybinding involving Ctrl and Shift and letter

From: xah lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:46:22 -0700

This seems to be a bug.

i'm trying to set keybindings for both Ctrl+n and Ctrl+Shift+n, by:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-N") 'f1)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-n") 'f2)

however, that doesn't work.
Emacs will take both Ctrl+Shift+n and Ctrl+Shift+n to be whichever is  
evaluated last. In this case, f2.

But the following works:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-n") 'f1)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-n") 'f2)

This seems to contradict with Meta's ways. That is (kbd "M-N") works  
but not (kbd "M-S-n").

   Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
  of 2008-04-05 on g5.tokyo.stp.isas.jaxa.jp
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.4.11
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app/ 
Contents/Resources' '--with-carbon' '--without-x' '--libexecdir=/ 
Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec' 'CFLAGS=-Os -arch  
i386 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -DUSE_ATSUI - 
DUSE_MAC_TSM''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   locale-coding-system: iso-8859-1
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

☄