Subject: bug#9652: emacs should use italic faces on terminal emulators which support italic fonts

From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 16:19:02 +0200

Dear emacs developers,

Bug: 

Emacs shows italic faces as underlined in terminal emulators
which support italic fonts ...

Feature request: 

... but should use italic instead.

Recipe to reproduce the bug: 

start a terminal emulator which supports italic fonts (e.g.
rxvt-unicode):

- rxvt-unicode -fn "xft:courier new"

- echo -e '\e[3mitalics\e[m'

--> enjoy italic face

- emacs-snapshot -Q -nw ~/italics.org #org-mode supports italics

- type "/italics/ *bold* _underlined_"

--> "italics" and "underlined" are underlined instead of italics
    resp. underlined.
     
Thanks for considering this feature request and emacs in general, Gregor