Subject: bug#9639: 24.0.90; Problem with bury-buffer in minibuffer-hide-completions

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:09:45 +0200

>> This would delete a stand-alone frame and not iconify it.
 >
 > That's a problem of quit-window.  I know that some users like this
 > behavior, but making the distinction based on whether the code happened
 > to use quit-window instead of bury-buffer is wrong, IMO.
 >
 > Both bury-buffer and quit-window should hide dedicated frames in the
 > same way, either both by iconifying, or both by deleting the frame (and
 > they should share the same code to do it).
 >
 > This shared code can provide a hook to let the user choose how the frame
 > gets hidden, but the default should be to iconify since that's how it's
 > worked until now (and also because I think it's a safer default, in the
 > sense that iconifying throws away less information than deleting the
 > frame).

With emacs 23 help frames are deleted by default.  So if I interpret you
strictly, `quit-window' should iconify a dedicated frame and delete a
non-dedicated one.  Is that correct?

Basically, it would be nice to get rid of either `bury-buffer' or
`quit-window'.  Having two functions do approximately the same thing is
neither reasonable for developers nor for users.

martin