Subject: bug#9639: 24.0.90; Problem with bury-buffer in minibuffer-hide-completions

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 10:41:11 -0400

>> I confirm this DTRT for my case.

BTW, can't we just use `quit-window'?

> I believe the original idea was to mark the window as dedicated but

That's how it worked in Emacs-23, indeed.

> `display-buffer-mark-dedicated' is currently not handled by the new
> buffer display routines.

Yes, that's a bug.

> with the DEDICATED argument set.  OTOH in the discussion of bug#7368 it
> was said that dedicating the completions window might harm its reuse by
> other `display-buffer' calls so I leave this to Stefan to decide what
> shall be done.

In Emacs-23, marking the window as dedicated via
display-buffer-mark-dedicated was handy but indeed had the disadvantage
of preventing the window's reuse by display-buffer.  I think in Emacs-24
this disadvantage is less serious because the completion code is a lot
more careful to not leave the *Completion* displayed too long.
So making display-buffer-mark-dedicated work (which we need to do in any
case) should be all that's needed to fix the bug.

But of course, if we can get the *Completions* window/frame deleted
without marking it as dedicated, that'd be fine as well.

        Stefan