Subject: Re: path in .la start with '='

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:17:28 +0100

Hi,

On 2011-09-29 13:03:48 +0200, Peter Kruse wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> The recently[1] added function `func_replace_sysroot' adds an '=' to a
> given path.
> But this path is then added to $dependency_libs in the .la file like this:
> 
> dependency_libs=' -L=/usr/lib'
> 
> resulting in errors like:
> 
> libtool: link: warning: cannot determine absolute directory name of `=/usr/lib'
> 
> what is the reasoning for this equal sign?  I have configured some
> recent versions
> of some software packages that use this libtool (pcre, glib) with
> --with-sysroot and my PATH indeed starts with that directory.

Some user ran into the same problem with MPFR, but it doesn't seem to
be a bug, so that I think this bug should be closed. You need a more
recent Libtool (2.4+) to link.

The Libtool 2.4+ NEWS file says:

New in 2.4 2010-09-22: git version 2.2.11a, Libtool team:

* New features:

  - Sysroot support.  This allows you to build cross-compiled packages
    with the same prefix that will be used on the destination machine,
    and still find dependent libraries under the compiler's "sysroot".
    Without sysroot support, paths internal to the build system may leak
    into the product of the build.

    Sysroot support is disabled unless the --with-sysroot configure
    option is passed to configure, because .la files generated with
    sysroot support will _not_ be usable in general with older Libtools.

There is technical information here:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.patches/10111

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)