Subject: Re: bug#9617: 23.1; Tramp blocks other Emacs use while waiting

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 15:19:24 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Michael,

>> There are sometimes unavoidable delays in using Tramp to access remote
>> files. It would be very useful if it were possible to load or save a
>> buffer using Tramp in a non-blocking way so that use of Emacs on other
>> buffers could continue.
>
> A solution will be available, when Emacs supports threads.

It is still work in progress, but if you are interested in, you might
test Emacs from its git repository. Check out the
feature/tramp-thread-safe branch, and compile.

With the new prefix command universal-async-argument ("C-x &") you
could trigger to the find-file-* command family to visit files
asynchronously. See also the Emacs manual, node (info "(emacs) Visiting")

Note that this is not fit yet for editing precious files. Any feedback
is welcome! Don't hesitate to ask if something is unclear.

Best regards, Michael.