Subject: 24.0.90; Cannot debug-on-entry message-send-mail

From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:55:44 -0400

>From "emacs -Q":
M-x load-library RET message RET
M-x debug-on-entry RET message-send-mail RET

This causes an "Args out of range" error.  This only happens on the byte
code.  If I evaluate message.el, this error no longer occurs.

Backtrace:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range #[(&optional arg) "\306\307!\210\310\311!\312\313 p\314\315\316!\203#\317\320!\203#\316\312!\202$
@AB\203GB\321=\204G\322\323!\210\306\324!\210\325 \210\326 \210\322\327!\210\214\330 \210\331 \203b\332\333!\204b\334\335 B@BA\202n\332\333!\336\232\203n\337\340!\210
?\205uCC\341A!\210)\342\343!\204\260\212eb\210\344\345\312\314#\203\257\346\224b\210\347\350!\203\237\351c\210\202\207\352y\210\347\353!\204\207\354\355!\210\202\207)\356\357!\210)\360\216rq\210\361 \210rq\210\362ed\")c\210\363 \210\214\330 \210\364@>\203\333\341\365!\210\337D\314\"\210EF\366 \210*db\210h\367U\204\365\367c\210\370 \210\214\330 \210
\205B\371\372!?\205B\371\373!?\205B\371\374!\204 \371\375!\204 \371\376!\205B\371\377!\211G\2037\201MG!@\201N\230\205A\371\201O!\201P\230?))\203R\201Qrq\210H)!\210\212eb\210\344\201R\312\314#)\203m\201S\201T\201UC\"\210\201V \210I\203\245\201W IW\204\245\201X\347\201Y\314\201Z\201W \201[\245\201\\I\201[\245\201]&\204\267\322\201^!\210J\206\262K \210\202\274\201_ \210*q\210\201`LB\211L.\207" [tembuf case-fold-search news mailbuf message-this-is-mail message-posting-charset require mail-utils message-generate-new-buffer-clone-locals " message temp" nil message-news-p t fboundp gnus-setup-posting-charset boundp gnus-group-posting-charset-alist opportunistic message "Generating hashcash..." hashcash hashcash-wait-async mail-add-payment "Generating hashcash...done" message-narrow-to-headers message-subscribed-p mail-fetch-field "mail-followup-to" "Mail-Followup-To" message-make-mail-followup-to "" message-remove-header "^Mail-Followup-To:" message-generate-headers message-check-element continuation-headers re-search-forward "^[^ 	
][^ 	
:]*[ 	
]" 0 y-or-n-p "Fix continuation lines? " " " 1 "Send anyway? " error "Failed to send the message" run-hooks message-header-hook ((kill-buffer tembuf)) erase-buffer mml-buffer-substring-no-properties-except-hard-newlines message-encode-message-body Lines (Lines) mail-encode-encoded-word-buffer 10 message-cleanup-headers message-fetch-field "List-Post" "List-ID" "cc" "bcc" "to" "content-type" message-required-mail-headers headers message-generate-hashcash message-deletable-headers message-ignored-mail-headers message-default-charset mail-parse-charset content-type message-courtesy-message message-send-mail-partially-limit message-send-mail-real-function message-send-mail-function message-sent-message-via mail-header-parse-content-type "text/plain" "content-transfer-encoding" "base64" message-insert-courtesy-copy "[^-\377]" signal cl-assertion-failed (save-excursion (goto-char (point-min)) (not (re-search-forward "[^-\377]" nil t))) mm-disable-multibyte buffer-size message-talkative-question "The message size is too large, split? " "The message size, " 1000 "KB, is too large.

Some mail gateways (MTA's) bounce large messages.  To avoid the
problem, answer `y', and the message will be split into several
smaller pieces, the size of each is about " "KB except the last
one.

However, some mail readers (MUA's) can't read split messages, i.e.,
mails in message/partially format. Answer `n', and the message will be
sent in one piece.

The size limit is controlled by `message-send-mail-partially-limit'.
If you always want Gnus to send messages in one piece, set
`message-send-mail-partially-limit' to nil.
" "Sending via mail..." message-send-mail-partially mail] 10] 4)
  debug-convert-byte-code(message-send-mail)
  debug-on-entry(message-send-mail)
  call-interactively(debug-on-entry t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2011-09-27 on waterbuck.yellow.cert.org
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/home/mwd' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> M-x d e b u g - o n <tab> <return> a d d - 
t o <tab> <tab> l i <tab> <return> M-x c a q q M-x 
c c c c c a n c e l - d e b <tab> <return> c c c c 
c c <return> c c m C-c C-k M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Continuing.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Cancelling debug-on-entry for all functions
Parsing /afs/cert.org/usr/mwd/.mailrc... done
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug gnus-cite flyspell ispell help-mode view
debug gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 epa-file epa derived epg
network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime mailcap gnus-cache edmacro kmacro
nnir gnus-sum gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
nnoo gnutls gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus-load
woman man uniquify warnings tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc shell pcomplete
tramp-loaddefs time smime password-cache dig comint server psvn advice
help-fns advice-preload cl log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log diff-mode
easy-mmode pgg pgg-parse pgg-def message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit generic-x
dired-x easymenu dired regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])