Subject: Re: bug#96: lgrep/rgrep not asking to save buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:58:04 +0200

> From: Hugh Brown <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:54:07 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Hi there -- I'm submitting a patch for this bug.  It applies cleanly
> against the HEAD of the master branch right now
> (f67446455fc0ec59f5c25c90a8783e571b60dc8f).

Thanks.  Please provide a log entry for this.

> +(defcustom grep-ask-about-save t
> +  "Non-nil means \\[grep], \\[lgrep] and \\[rgrep] ask which buffers to save before running.
> +Otherwise, it saves all modified buffers without asking."
> +  :type 'boolean
> +  :group 'grep)

Is there a way to get back the current behavior, i.e. not save any
buffers?

In any case, this is a change in user-visible behavior, so I think it
warrants a NEWS entry

Also, this defcustom lacks a :version keyword.

> +(defcustom grep-save-buffers-predicate nil
> +  "The second argument (PRED) passed to `save-some-buffers' before compiling.
> +E.g., one can set this to
> +  (lambda ()
> +    (string-prefix-p my-grep-root (file-truename (buffer-file-name))))
> +to limit saving to files located under `my-grep-root'.

Did you consider letting grep-ask-about-save serve double duty, in
that it could also be a predicate function?  I'm not saying this would
necessarily be better, I'm just asking why not.