Subject: Re: bug#9598: 24.0.50; completion goes too far

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:01:46 -0400

Completion styles other than plain prefix completion
    (e.g. partial-completion, substring completion, ...) can't just use
    try-completion, so they use all-completions and then merge the resulting
    entries to construct the result of completion.

I see.  But it should not be hard to bind a variable to say "this call
to all-completions is for completion, not for displaying a list."

    This said, I can't think of any reason why it's important to show the
    current buffer in *Completions* for C-x b since C-x b is about switching
    to another buffer.

The reason it is important for me is that sometimes I use this to see
what buffers exist with a certain prefix -- and the omission of the
current buffer makes the result incorrect.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use free telephony http://directory.fsf.org/category/tel/