Subject: Re: bug#9591: 24.0.50; buffer name completion

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:39:32 -0400

>> Having looked a bit more into it, I'm undecided:
>> we could go like you suggest and force users to type a leading space,
>> but at least for my own use this would be inconvenient, since I pretty
>> often need to get at hidden buffers, and often don't know the exact name
>> of the buffer I want (and I don't even always know whether it's a hidden
>> buffer or not, since Elisp authors aren't always very consistent about
>> it).  So I find it very handy to just say "C-x b *foo TAB" (or indeed
>> just "C-x b foo TAB" in Emacs-24) and see all buffers that contain
>> "foo", regardless of whether they're hidden or not.
>> So it seems that both behaviors are desirable and I'm not sure how to
>> tell which to use when.
> There's what Lars suggested, which sounds like it can cater to both
> use cases.

[ Going back to re-read it. ]
Ah, now I see what he meant.

I guess we could provide an ad-hoc completion style for buffers, but
that's kind of ugly: completion styles are supposed to be agnostic to the
underlying completion table and vice-versa.

> Failing that, add some non-default completion style which behaves like
> you want.  I hope _you_ have no problems with customizing for
> non-default behavior ;-)

Indeed, I don't have a problem with that, tho I always prefer a solution
where no configuration is necessary (i.e. find a middle ground).

        Stefan