Subject: bug#9577: 24.0.50; `find-alternate-file': Redundant confirmation message?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:52:23 -0700

In `files.el' we have this:
 
(when (and (buffer-modified-p) buffer-file-name)
    (if (yes-or-no-p (format "Buffer %s is modified; save it first? "
        (buffer-name)))
        (save-buffer)
      (unless (yes-or-no-p "Kill and replace the buffer without saving it? ")
        (error "Aborted"))))
 
I don't understand why we make the user answer twice that s?he really
wants to abandon the modified buffer.  Surely, if s?he answers `no' to
the first question then the answer to the second is `yes', no?
 
This kind of double-confirmation questioning, especially using a
reversal of the sense of the question (no for the first means the same
as yes for the second) is not only annoying but error prone.
 
Am I missing something?  Is there really a use case for answering no and
then no (beyond changing your mind or not understanding the first
question)?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-09-19 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt'