Subject: bug#9571: 24.0.50; user option to turn off bidi, please

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:01:08 +0200

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:11:16 +0200
Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Can you imagine that there are some Emacs users who do not _ever_ need
>> or want to edit bidirectional text?
>
> If those users get a different behavior depending on
> bidi-display-reordering, then we have a bug.

I assume you don't consider UI responsiveness (buffer movement etc.)
deterioration a bug, then? AFIAK it's totally unrealistic to expect the
same responsiveness from Emacs with bidi enabled as from one with bidi
disabled, just as is the case with font locking. Given that font locking
already makes Emacs (next-to-?)unusable under certain circumstances, I'm
not sure easily discoverable and advertised possibility to switch bidi
off is such a very strange request from someone who never, ever, works
with bidi text (intentionally or not, i.e., doesn't even receive bidi
emails or something).

OTOH, I understand you probably just want to push bidi down everybody's
throat as much as possible to catch all problems this major change will
bring. So I think I understand the reluctance to honour Drew's request,
but the argumentation so far seems a bit disingenuous to me.

-- 
Štěpán