Subject: Re: bug#9571: 24.0.50; user option to turn off bidi, please

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:28:42 -0400

If you can read the relevant scripts, then bidi is not going to confuse
    you. If you cannot read the scripts, then turning off bidi is not really
    going to help (probably find-file-literally would be a better option in
    this case).

For people who can read the scripts, simple ordinary use of bidi will
make complete sense.  Even for people who can't read them, simple
ordinary use will cause no confusion.  (I can't read Hebrew, but a
Hebrew word in an English text won't be any harder to cope with than
a few Chinese characters.)

But the bidi feature is complex, and complex cases might be confusing
to anyone.  Especially if the text is the result of some sort of
error, and doesn't really make sense at all.  These are the cases
where I think temporarily disabling reordering could be useful.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use free telephony http://directory.fsf.org/category/tel/