Subject: RE: bug#9564: 23.3; doc of `face-list'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:52:30 -0700

> > Both doc string and Elisp manual say that `face-list' 
> > returns a list of face names.  This is incorrect or at
> > least misleading.  A "name" value in Emacs typically
> > refers to a string value.  The doc should say clearly
> > that the list elements are face _symbols_, not face "names".
> 
> Indeed, thank you.  Actually, they're just faces.  And faces happen to
> be represented by symbols. Should be fixed now,

Well, yes, at one level faces are symbols - just like characters are whole
numbers.  But at another level it can be useful to distinguish the two
(conceptually).  And we do so.  In several places we speak of "face symbols".  I
think that general helps clarity rather than hurting it, but yes, at some point
users (e.g., programmers) need to understand that faces are symbols.

Another advantage in using that terminology is that while all faces are symbols,
not all symbols are faces.  Those that are can reasonably be called "face
symbols" (as we do now, in other places).

Anyway, thanks for the quick fix.