Subject: Re: bug#9560: An exact recipe

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:39:35 +0000

Hi again, Michael.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 09:45:45AM -0400, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> Okay, I've done some experimenting, and unfortunately, I have been
> unable to recreate this problem using this recipe using emacs -Q -nw.
> I've only encountered it using an X window.

I found that too, on a tty - it's rather worrying.  ;-(

> In this environment, I was able to recreate the problem consistently.
> I was able to replace the initial "3*C-v 7*C-n" in the macro with
> "100*C-n C-l" and this allowed it to work with larger frame sizes.
> Don't ask me why the C-l is necessary, as I do not know.

I can now reproduce the problem consistently.

As you surmised, the problem is in `c-state-cache', the cache of braces,
parens, and brackets which is essential to CC Mode's operation.

I'll see if I can get some instrumentation on `c-parse-state' so as to
track down the exact point the cache is going wrong.  I do hope such
instrumentation won't make the error go away.

> -- 
> Michael Welsh Duggan
> ([email-masked])

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).