Subject: Re: bug#9557: 24.0.50; "y-or-n-p" does not clear the echo area

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:47:54 +0200

>> In my case, I find that echo a bit unnecessary/disconcerting (hence
>> this bug report).
>>
>> What about adding a variable to control that echo (with default value
>> "on", to keep the current behavior untouched)?
>
> You can put in your .emacs:
>
> (defadvice y-or-n-p (around y-or-n-p act)
>  (let ((answer ad-do-it))
>    (message "")
>    answer))
>

Thanks, Juri.  It works fine.  I'll use it.

I was going to propose another (more flexible) alternative: Instead of
storing a boolean value in a variable (to switch echoing on/off),
store a time delay, after which the echoed text would be removed (if
was not already removed by another event).  A value of 0 would mean
"don't echo", and a value greater that some limit would mean "never
remove" (as now).

But if no one else thinks that this change is worthwhile, you can
close this bug report.

Thanks again.

-- 
Dani Moncayo