Subject: bug#954: indentation in latex-mode in emacs-23

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:48:32 -0400

martin rudalics wrote:

>  > It's not something I can convince you about. And I don't think there
>  > is any correct or incorrect formatting style. It's just from my 10
>  > years experience. As I get older, it gets harder to accommodate new
>  > things no matter how small they are....
>
> ... sounds convincing.  What about the attached patch?

Sorry to disagree, but "change bad" is not a convincing argument to me.

I prefer the current form because I think that

\begin{math}
  a = b
\end{math}

and

\(
  a = b
\)

should be formatted the same. A comment in the original bug that
motivated this change seems more convincing to me:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2007-09/msg00045.html

    The correct solution would require that \(, \), \[, and \] are
    treated the same as \begin{math}, \end{math}, \begin{displaymath},
    and \end{displaymath}. (The latter are defined in terms of the
    former in latex.ltx.)

But I have to admit that: i) I use AUCTeX; and ii) I don't use \( \),
so take all that with a large grain of salt. :)

So please just check that whatever change is installed does not bring
back the original tex-validate-region problem:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2007-09/msg00038.html