Subject: bug#9532: 24.0.50; `special-display-regexps' is no longer respected

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:51:19 -0700

Good news, for me at least: This bug seems to be fixed in Emacs 24 pretest #1:

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-10-18 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags -I"C:/Program
Files (x86)/GnuWin32/include" -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src -ID:/devel/emacs/gnutls-2.10.5-x86/include
--ldflags -LD:/devel/emacs/gnutls-2.10.5-x86/lib'

(I had to remove my modified version of Martin's `pop-to-buffer-same-window',
and then it worked.)

Question: I'm still doing the following, which was needed in prior releases, but
it apparently has no effect now.  I say that because `same-window-regexps' is in
fact nil, regardless of whether I do this.

(cond ((> emacs-major-version 21)
       (remove-hook 'same-window-regexps "\\*info\\*\\(\\|<[0-9]+>\\)")
       (remove-hook 'same-window-regexps "\\`\\*Customiz.*\\*\\'"))
      ((< emacs-major-version 21)
       (remove-hook 'same-window-buffer-names "*info*"))
      (t
       (remove-hook 'same-window-buffer-names "*info*")
       (remove-hook 'same-window-regexps "\\`\\*Customiz.*\\*\\'")))

(a) Can you confirm that it should have no effect?
(b) How does/should a user now control these things?

Is it the case, perhaps, that things are just as before wrt
`same-window-regexps', except that now its default value is nil instead of
pre-populated?  Would it be appropriate/effective to use, say, `add-hook' to add
a pattern to it?  (Yes, I know and agree that customizing it is no doubt
preferable, for individual users.)  Thx.