Subject: Re: bug#9532: 24.0.50; `special-display-regexps' is no longer respected

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:01:08 -0400

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> OTOH, I don't see an easy way to handle all the backward
>> compatibility exceptions in this case.
>
> FWIW, Martin's code worked fine in this regard.
> ...
> Perhaps look to Martin's code for an answer?  Even if you decide not
> to do everything the same way he did it, perhaps for things like this
> his code can help guide you.  Dunno.

I don't know why you seem to think that there is some great mystery
here.  The issue is quite clear: how to handle the transition away from
same-window-regexps in commands like `info'.

The current code, AFAICT, also "works fine" if you change info back to
using pop-to-buffer + same-window-regexps.

I am coming to the conclusion that there is no good way to handle the
change "smoothly", in the sense of having an intermediate stage where
internal Emacs code (outside of window.el) transitions away from using
same-window-regexps.  That is to say, until we are prepared to outright
change the behavior of commands like `info' wrt certain combinations of
same-window-* and special-window-* settings, we have to continue using
same-window-regexps in those source files.

Stefan, any thoughts?