Subject: bug#9532: 24.0.50; `special-display-regexps' is no longer respected

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:55:31 -0700

I do not have the time to debug this now.  Martin and I spent a _lot_ of
time getting things to work still in Emacs 24, so that Emacs 23
(22,21,...) settings are still respected.  He fixed several Emacs 24
bugs in this regard.
 
Now, things are broken again.  He says that he doesn't yet understand
the new code, and I don't have time to devote to it now either (trying
to pare down my setup to a minimal test case etc.).
 
I can at least say that I have this as `special-display-regexps':
("[ ]?[*][^*]+[*]")
 
And both `*info*' and `*unsent mail to [email-masked]*', which
match that option value, are _not_ displayed as special-display
buffers.
 
I have non-nil `pop-up-frames', and I use a different set of frame
parameters for `special-display-frame-alist'.  But neither of those
buffers appears in a separate frame with those frame parameters.
Instead, they each _replace_ the current buffer in the current frame.
 
What's more, when I hit `q' in Info the frame disappears altogether.
(That might be because of some of my code: I do want the Info frame to
disappear.)  The bug here is that there is no separate Info frame, so
the frame that disappears is the one that should still have the
original buffer.
 
FYI, `*Buffer List*' does not have this problem.  It correctly appears
in a separate frame.
 
Again, all of this is with my setup.  But perhaps there is enough info
here that you can track down the bug.  Hope so.  The bug appears in the
2011-09-12 build - there is no such bug in the 2011-09-05 build.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-09-12 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt'