Subject: bug#9514: 24.0.50; eval + format weirdness

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:24:57 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Except that this has nothing to do with eval.

Nor with most anything else in my example...

So a better bug report would have been

Subject: format barfs on certain strings

For example,

(format "%%é")

evaluates to garbage.

However, the paradoxical thing was rather

(let* ((string1 "%%b")
       (string2 (with-temp-buffer (insert string1) (buffer-string))))
  (list (string-equal string1 string2)
	(format string1)
	(format string2)))

=> (t "%b" "%bb")

as it wouldn't have easily occurred to me that string1 and string2 can
have different representations on the C level, which format treats
differently (though this shouldn't show ;-)

Wolfgang