Subject: bug#9503: 24.0.50; (vc-git): After applying a stash, refresh of *vc-dir* is a must

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:37:55 +0530

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Applying stash on a dirty tree produces the following error message from
>> git:
>>
>> "Cannot apply to a dirty working tree, please stage your changes"
>>
>> Even if one is applyin stashes serially, one HAS to always commit the
>> stash before applying the next one. 
>
> Only if the stashes overlap.

That is what I would have expected but that is not what I observed with
a little test that stashed *two different* files on the same HEAD.

My git version is 1.7.2.3. The release notes for git 1.7.5.1 has the
following entry

,----
|  * "git stash apply" used to refuse to work if there was any change in
|  the working tree, even when the change did not overlap with the
|  change the stash recorded.
`----

So I would (favorably) assume that the above bug is also present in
1.7.2.3 version of git. I agree that I shouldn't have based my opinions
on a buggy behaviour and trusted my instincts.

Anyways, the maintainers have agreed to the change I requested. So the
above note is only to clarify my eariler comments.