Subject: Re: bug#9503: 24.0.50; (vc-git): After applying a stash, refresh of *vc-dir* is a must

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:21:20 +0530

Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 20:18, Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to have some sort of visual feedback that confirms that
>> the application of stash has succeeded. Otherwise I just keep staring at
>> the screen hoping something would happen.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Do you think a prefix arg or a customization variable is in order?
>
> A prefix arg, for the case that you *don't* want the autoupdate,
> perhaps. Your case is surely more common that the one where the user
> wants to apply several stashes at once. As for the variable, it
> wouldn't be useful if you usually apply one stash, and in a few cases
> you want to apply several.

Considering that stashes cannot be applied on a dirty tree, refreshing
the *vc-dir* would invariably follow (if one is committing from within
Emacs)

There seem to be only two options after a clean application of stash
1. Continue modify the working tree.
2. Commit the stash.

May be the prefix arg could be used to mean (2) above? I am more likely
to do (1) than (2).

Now I believe there is a strong case for refreshing *vc-dir*.

>> You can close this bug if you think it is too frivolous.
>
> No, not at all. I just wondered about the other use case, because it
> isn't uncommon for me.

>     Juanma