Subject: bug#2524 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#950: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:00:08 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#950: 23.0.91; Frame beneath the current one not fully redisplayed on w32

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
950: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=950
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#950: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:51:54 +0800

> CVS Emacs on Windows XP sometimes fails to draw the contents of a new
> frame.

This bug (also reported as bug#1748 and bug#2524) should be fixed now. 
It was due to a poorly implemented redraw optimization within Windows, 
which I have worked around by using a non-standard paint message 
internally in Emacs.

Subject: 23.0.91; Frame beneath the current one not fully redisplayed on w32
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 22:51:43 +0200

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

  emacs -Q
  C-h n
  C-x 5 b RET
  C-h p
  C-x 1

After these keystrokes you should have 2 frames: one displaying NEWS,
the other one displaying the list of keywords for Emacs packages.

Now click and hold mouse on the foreground frame, and drag the frame
as fast as you can in circular movements against the background of the
second frame beneath it.  Eventually, you will see that the frame
beneath is not fully redisplayed in the portions that are exposed when
the foreground frame moves.  At that point, even if you stop dragging
the foreground frame and release the mouse, the frame beneath will not
be redisplayed.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
d:/gnu/emacs/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-02-28 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Recent input:
C-h n C-x 5 b <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <find-emacs-packages> 
C-x 1 <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-cvs...done
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
SPC = select, <mouse-2> = select, d = to finder directory, q = quit, ? = help