Subject: bug#950 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#950: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:00:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#950: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
950: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=950
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#950: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:51:54 +0800

> CVS Emacs on Windows XP sometimes fails to draw the contents of a new
> frame.

This bug (also reported as bug#1748 and bug#2524) should be fixed now. 
It was due to a poorly implemented redraw optimization within Windows, 
which I have worked around by using a non-standard paint message 
internally in Emacs.

>From [email-masked] Tue Sep  9 10:25:58 2008
From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CVS Emacs on Windows XP fails to draw contents of new frame
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:51:22 -0400

CVS Emacs on Windows XP sometimes fails to draw the contents of a new
frame.  To reproduce, run "emacs -q", and evaluate this form:

    (let ((frame (make-frame)))
      (make-frame-invisible frame)
      (make-frame-visible frame))

The new frame's contents will not be drawn.  Typing "C-l" in the new
frame does not cause its contents to be drawn.  You have to switch focus
to another window and back again before the frame's contents are drawn.
--
Fran