Subject: Re: bug#9481: 24.0.50; emacs_dir behavior too cumbersome for use within msys

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 04:36:31 -0400

> From: CRLF0710 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:01:44 +0800
> 
> emacs_dir is a special environment variable on Win32. If Emacs.exe is
> located in a "bin/" directory, it will be calculated, which is not a
> desired behavior at all times.
> 
> One might want to use it in msys and organize the emacs files in a way
> similiar to that of *nix systems. To fulfill this, one might want to
> set emacs_dir to the *:/share/emacs/<version>/ directory. This works
> unless the emacs.exe is in the *:/bin directory(in fact any directory
> which is not with the name "bin" or "i386").

Sorry, I don't follow your use case and the problems you are
experiencing due to the setting of emacs_dir.  Please describe in more
details:

  . in which directory you want to install the emacs.exe binary
  . why do you need to break the structure of the Emacs tree that is
    assumed by the current code
  . what does this all have to do with MSYS

IOW, this installation should work:

   X:/share/emacs/<version>/bin/emacs.exe
   X:/share/emacs/<version>/lisp/
   X:/share/emacs/<version>/etc/

This should also work:

   X:/usr/local/bin/emacs.exe
   X:/share/emacs/<version>/lisp/
   X:/share/emacs/<version>/etc/
   set EMACSLOADPATH=X:/share/emacs/<version>/lisp
   set EMACSDATA=X:/share/emacs/<version>/etc
   set EMACSDOC=X:/share/emacs/<version>/etc

Both of the above should work without any need to change anything in
the code.

If you need some different configuration, please describe it and the
rationale for using it rather than the supported ones.

Thanks.