Subject: Re: bug#9481: Fwd: bug#9481: 24.0.50; emacs_dir behavior too cumbersome for use within msys

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 06:40:55 -0400

> From: CRLF0710 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:15:46 +0800
> 
> What i met is exactly the second case, however one of the environment
> variables should be(according to the code):
> 
> set EMACSLOADPATH=X:/share/emacs/<version>/site-lisp;X:/share/emacs/<version>/../site-lisp;X:/share/emacs/<version>/lisp;X:/share/emacs/<version>/leim
> 
> And with the other two paths, I'll have to repeat the string
> "X:/share/emacs/<version>" for six times, by hand. which is exactly
> the emacs_dir variable.

You set these variables in some startup script or in .bash_rc, and
that's it.  It's a one-time thing.

> So this is a little inconvenient. If you think this case is not TOO
> rare, maybe you can consider fixing it from the code?

I don't mind adding something, but what you originally suggested is a
non-starter, because the current operation with forceful setting of
emacs_dir must stay, as most users need it.  You cannot blindly obey
an external setting of emacs_dir, because it could come from an
incompatible Emacs version, e.g., if one version of Emacs spawns a
shell that then runs another version.

So if you can suggest a way that leaves the emacs_dir variable alone,
but still lets you do what you want more conveniently, please do.
Personally, I don't think that setting 3 environment variables is such
a grave problem, but that's me.

By the way, you didn't tell why you need this configuration and what
does it have to do with MSYS.