Subject: bug#9478: 23.3; custom-save-all could be faster

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 15:00:42 +0200

Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the case where the file isn't already in a buffer, I suggest that
> `custom-save-all' calls `find-file-noselect' with the RAWFILE argument
> set to t and `find-file-hook' set to nil.  I'm not sure if there are
> other places where emacs is going to open and close a file without
> presenting it to the user, but the same approach could probably be
> followed in other places.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Like Andreas pointed out, we can't really do the RAWFILE thing, because
that would mess up the file.  I don't think we can bind `find-file-hook'
to nil, either -- the user may well want to do things to the file in
this case, too.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no