Subject: 24.0.50; gnus error on gcc with GMail

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:23:51 -0600

Sending an email with the following configuration:

(setq user-mail-address "[email-masked]")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "imap.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls)

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "gmail"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-server-port 993)))

(setq gnus-invalid-group-regexp "[:`'\"]\\|^$")
(setq gnus-ignored-newsgroups "")
(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group "[Google Mail]/Sent Mail")

gives the following error after sending the email:

gnus-inews-do-gcc: Symbol's value as variable is void: \[Google\ Mail\]/Sent\ Mail

I saw that gnus-outgoing-message-group is marked obsolete since 24.1,
but shouldn't this work anyway?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2011-09-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -I"C:/Program Files (x86)/GnuWin32/include" -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src -ID:/devel/emacs/gnutls-2.10.5-x86/include --ldflags -LD:/devel/emacs/gnutls-2.10.5-x86/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  my-keys-minor-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  autopair-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
m a p C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-c RET M-p M-p <return> b 
i d i <return> e <backspace> p a c k a g e <return> 
e m a <backspace> <backspace> <return> <backspace> 
<return> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x o z 
C-x b C-g <C-down-mouse-1> C-c RET M-p <return> b i 
d i <return> p a c k a g e <return> <return> <return> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x o C-h k z C-x o q C-x 
o q C-c RET g n u s <return> q y C-c m C-x m s c h 
r o e d h e l m @ g m a i l . c o m C-n t e s t C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-c C-c <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-c C-c n <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-x k <return> y C-x m c h r i s t o p . <backspace> 
h . s c h o l t e s @ g m a i l . c o m <tab> n <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-n t e s t C-c 
C-c <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h e C-a C-SPC C-SPC 
C-M-e C-p C-p M-w C-c RET e m a c s - b <tab> <tab> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> b u g <tab> <tab> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m 
a c s - r e p <tab> <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o r t - b <tab> <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Already sent message via mail; resend? (y or n)  n
message-send: No methods specified to send by
Buffer *unsent mail* modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending email...done
gnus-inews-do-gcc: Symbol's value as variable is void: \[Google\ Mail\]/Sent\ Mail
Mark set
Mark activated
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins/python hides d:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/trunk_jenkins/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow face-remap emacsbug mailalias smtpmail cus-edit cus-start
cus-load sendmail nnfolder utf-7 rot13 gnutls nnimap utf7 netrc vc-bzr
find-dired dabbrev grep tramp shell tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs sort
gnus-cite mail-extr qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg mule-util parse-time
gnus-ml nndoc gnus-topic nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache url-handlers crm debbugs-gnu
debbugs-autoloads debbugs soap-client xml compile autoload tar-mode
multi-isearch lisp-mnt url-cache network-stream starttls url-http tls
url-gw url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
password-cache url-vars mailcap finder-inf paredit vc-hg python skeleton
rx ansi-color my-zenburn-theme erc-join erc-track erc-match
erc-pcomplete erc-stamp erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat thingatpt
ispell bookmark+ bookmark+-key dired-x dired bookmark+-1 nnir gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr bookmark+-bmu help-mode view
bookmark+-lit pp+ bookmark+-mac bookmark pp recentf tree-widget wid-edit
midnight desktop ibuffer uniquify autopair google-c-style cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring
second-sel ido yasnippet dropdown-list derived edmacro kmacro assoc cl
org-habit org-agenda org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote
org-src ob-comint comint ring ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline
easy-mmode regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-install package tabulated-list server advice help-fns advice-preload
autorevert delsel time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)