Subject: bug#9469: buffer-local variables seem to remember previous values

From: Le Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:39:13 +0800

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Ok.  So I'm closing this report.

First of all, it's entirely possible that in order to preserve my self
perception that "I am smart", my ego won't let me admit that I just
wasn't smart enough parse the manual properly.

However, I still think it's not spelled out clearly enough.  It needs
an example to clearly show the trap.

"The special form quote returns its single argument, as written,
without evaluating it. This provides a way to include constant symbols
and lists"

Isn't the first sentence misleading?  It does not *always* return a
single argument as written.  It does the first time, and memoizes
subsequently.  Where is the mention of that?

The second sentence clarifies that quote should be used for "constant
symbols and lists".

Again, pedantically speaking, the information is there.  It's just not
clear enough to prevent other people falling into this trap in the
future.  I'm happy to leave this bug closed, or work with someone
specifically responsible for the Emacs Lisp Manual to come up with a
clear small example.

>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/
>

-- 
Le