Subject: Re: bug#9459: 24.0.50; Condigure aborts, complains about missing install.sh in build-aux.

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:04:11 -0700

On 09/08/11 09:30, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Can't you put the message in a variable (or something)?

Putting it in a makefile variable won't work, because 'make'
would still expand the variable and display the message
before running autoconf.

We could put the message into a separate shell script (which
we could call "not-autogen.sh" say), but that's overkill.
I can think of other, even fancier ways to attack the problem,
but they're all overkill too.

> or suppress printing this particular line...

But then the user wouldn't be informed when 'autoconf' runs.
We shouldn't do that.

>> > falling back on autogen.sh seems to be a win overall.
> If the build failure is something completely irrelevant to autogen.sh
> (if, for instance, we're hacking the sources)

autogen.sh would be run only when a subset of autogen.sh fails,
so the build failure cannot possibly be irrelevant to autogen.sh.