Subject: Re: bug#9448: 24.0.50; Comments in Awk scripts not fontified with comment face

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:13:39 +0000

Hi, Glenn.

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 05:50:36PM -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > There's the rub.  The more such "tidying up" changes are made in
> > savannah, the more difficult it becomes for me to synch changes with the
> > upstream CC Mode.  There're already > 80 such differences in cc-mode.el
> > alone.

> (defvar foo)

> works to silence the compiler since at least Emacs 21.4 (I think).

There're quite a few other such constructs.  Does it work under XEmacs?
If so which versions.  They're all things which are easy to check, but
cumulatively it's a massive time sink.

> declare-function works since Emacs 23.1, and exists as a no-op in Emacs
> 22.2 and 22.3.

Again, what about XEmacs?

> I hope that one day cc-bytecomp can just be removed. The part that deals
> with "an older CC Mode with outdated macros [being] loaded during
> compilation" is clever, but IMO just adds a bunch of complexity to solve
> a problem that doesn't need solving. Files should be compiled in batch
> mode in a separate Emacs instance.

I'd agree with you about its eventual removal.  Clearly there was a big
problem to solve - something like cc-bytecomp.el doesn't get knocked
together in a couple of hours.  I suspect Martin Stjernholm was having
big problems with his various versions during development, and that
cc-bytecomp is more for me and colleagues rather than ordinary users.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).