Subject: bug#9448: 24.0.50; Comments in Awk scripts not fontified with comment face

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:36:24 -0400

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>     (defvar awk-mode-syntax-table)
>
> . This ought to prevent my solution above from working, but it
> doesn't. Glenn, I think you put this line in. Why? Would it be OK to
> take it out again?

A defvar with no initvalue just suppresses a byte-compiler warning about
said variable being undefined. It doesn't actually define the variable,
so I think that line should stay there, to stop the compiler complaining
about an undefined variable in

  (set-syntax-table awk-mode-syntax-table)

(So by the way I think this means cc-bytecomp-defvar is no longer
needed. Also cc-bytecomp-defun can be replaced by declare-function.)

> Glenn, what on earth brought you to try deleting cc-fonts.elc?  It seems
> a stroke of genius, but how did you come to consider it?  :-)

I saw from the ChangeLog that cc-fonts was the most recent part of
cc-mode to be changed, so I tried reverting that commit. To make it take
effect, I deleted the old cc-fonts.elc rather than recompiling it.