Subject: Re: Manual should clearly define "group name"

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:24:43 +0200

Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Many times when customizing things for Gnus I have a pattern to match
> groups, but it's never entirely clear to me against what the pattern
> will be matched.  Will it be <method>+<server>:<group>, or simply
> <group>?  Is the answer different depending on whether <method> is a
> primary or secondary select method?

The latter, mainly, which is spelled out in the section that talks about
... that stuff.

I say "mainly" because if you're doing something in the backends, they
don't deal with Gnus group names, but with their own group names, which
are un-prefixed.

> A general policy should be spelled out in the manual, and IMO you
> should consider adding cross-references each time group names or group
> name regexps come up.

In Gnus, a group name is always what it is, so I don't think that's
necessary.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/