Subject: bug#9406: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:21:18 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Therefore, my proposal is obvious: Just after yanking some text into
>> some buffer (and before doing anything else) the keys M-p/M-n should
>> allow the user to navigate (backward/forward) through the kill ring.
>> The selected entry would be placed in the buffer (as happens now with
>> M-y).
>
> This is implemented in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-03/msg01176.html
> where after M-y you can use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Juri's change was adopted (I just found out about it now -- I've never
noticed it before 🙃), but there was then further discussion about
binding `M-p'/`M-n' after `C-y'.  There wasn't much enthusiasm for that,
and I think that it sounds pretty confusing myself, so I'm therefore
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no