Subject: Re: bug#9406: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:13:09 +0200

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:42, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> WDYT?
>
> I think we should not change the traditional behavior of `C-y M-y M-y ...'
> that many users are accustomed to.

Sorry to hear that.  I agree that it is good to keep the traditional
behavior as much as possible, but not at the expense of evolving
positively.

> What we could do is to activate the
> minibuffer browsing the kill-ring on `M-y' (not preceded by `C-y').

So you want to keep the current behavior of "C-y M-y" for the sake of
"traditional behavior", so that M-y would do one thing when preceded
by C-y, and another one (completely different) when not.  IMO, this
mixing/overloading of functionality in M-y is not clean, and besides,
one of those two tasks would be already implemented in M-p.  I'd like
you to reconsider this, please.

> And optionally bind `M-p'/`M-n' after `C-y' to more transient version
> of the current `M-y' that doesn't require multiple undo (but still
> you have to undo the first yank inserted by `C-y').

100% agreement on that (I like your "transient version" improvement).

-- 
Dani Moncayo