Subject: Re: bug#9406: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:18:23 +0200

Well, thus far the main objections to my initial proposal are:

1. Some prefer to select the kill-ring entry from the minibuffer,
which would allow "clean browsing" (i.e. without altering the undo
history), searching and completion.  I obviously agree that this would
be a nice feature.

2. Some don't want M-p/M-n to be temporally rebound after C-y.

------------

Solution for #1: Since the current M-y functionality would go to M-p,
M-y would be free and we could use it for jumping to the minibuffer.

Something similar has been proposed, but I don't want to overload M-y
with two different tasks, but instead moving the current one to M-p
(it makes a lot more sense there) and giving it the new one (it feels
quite good too: C-y for "yanking in situ" and M-y for "yanking via
minibuffer").

Solution for #2: As Stefan pointed out, that temporal rebinding of
M-p/M-n could be optional.

I think/hope that, with these additions, everyone shall be happy, and
I guess that we all agree in that this would mean a great boost in
Emacs kill-ring functionality.

WDYT?

-- 
Dani Moncayo