Subject: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:39:38 +0200

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist

As all of you know, if you want to yank into a buffer some entry from
the kill ring (which is not the last one), you have to yank the first
entry (C-y) and then look for the right one by typing M-y repeatedly.

IMO, this way of navigating through the kill ring has two problems:
1. Is not intuitive: the standard way of "history searching" is with
M-p/M-n (Search ring, minibuffer input, ...).
2. Is cumbersome in some cases: If you repeat `M-y' quickly to find an
old entry and realize that the wanted entry was already retrieved, you
have to invoke a negative prefix argument and then `M-y'.  Pretty
cumbersome.

Therefore, my proposal is obvious: Just after yanking some text into
some buffer (and before doing anything else) the keys M-p/M-n should
allow the user to navigate (backward/forward) through the kill ring.
The selected entry would be placed in the buffer (as happens now with
M-y).

-- 
Dani Moncayo