Subject: bug#9406: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:45:04 +0200

On 2011-08-31 17:40, Dani Moncayo wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 15:55, Deniz Dogan<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> On 2011-08-31 15:01, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually one of the benefits of your proposal is that it opens up the
>>> possibility of freeing the M-y binding.
>>>
>>
>> Why "free" the M-y binding if it means jailing M-n and M-p?
>
> M-n and M-p would not be jailed at all, as I've tried to explain to
> you several times.  They would remain unbound, as now.  The only
> exception would be after typing C-y...
>

I understand that.

So what we have today is: "M-y is free unless preceded by C-y."  What 
you propose is: "M-n and M-p are free unless preceded by C-y."  However, 
the way Stefan put it makes it sound like we're freeing up key bindings 
here.  We're not.

>>   M-y does nothing useful unless preceded by C-y today, so in that sense it's already
>> "free".
>
> If you do "C-h c M-y", you will see that M-y is not currently free.
>

As I said, M-y does nothing useful unless preceded by C-y.  In other 
words, the command is useless unless you do C-y first.  This is why I 
propose that the behavior of M-y is changed so that unless it is 
preceded by C-y, it enters a new mode which browses the kill-ring with 
M-n and M-p.